TagsApartment Therapy Autumn bedroom Candle Cheese Color Color Inspiration Croc Crockpot Crocodile Design Dinner DIY Domestic Quickie Entertaining Fall Faux Gator Flowers Food & Drink Gold Ikea Ikea Hackers Kitchen LACK Living Room Mexican Outdoor Living Paint Paper mâché Pastel Pillow Pink Print Pumpkin Recipes Reptile Skin Single Girl's Great Grocery Challenge Small Spaces Table Tape Tree Vase Wall Art White Wine
What can I say, my parents started me young...
Some more coffee table love, this week from Apartment Therapy! By far, AT is one of my favorite design sites out there. I’m beyond excited they posted my coffee table. So thanks for stopping by, and since I’m guessing you’re as big of an AT fan as I am, how about you vote for domesticitie. in The Homies 2013? Click here to vote.
Biggest thanks to Jules over at Ikea Hackers for posting my coffee table this morning! And thanks to everyone for such kind words. I’m more than happy to share any tips or answer any questions about my hack. Just shout!
My poor IKEA LACK coffee table has been through a lot. Originally black, I attempted to paint it silver (big mistake), then painted it white, then covered it with a white and gold patterned contact paper. For year’s I’ve wanted to cover it with some sort of reptile skin. I never imagined it would turn out THIS fantastic.
Here’s what I did:
After I disassembled the table, I laid the large pieces on top of the fabric and cut around, leaving about 2 inches around each side.
One of the problems I face was figuring out how to make the finished product look as smooth and seamless as possible. I ended up cutting a diagonal line at each corner and then hand-sewed together from the inside.
Perfect solution! The piece now fit the top of the table like a glove.
Enter the staple gun. I pulled the fabric as tight as I could so that it would lie flat on its top and stapled along all sides on the bottom of the table. For the bottom shelf of the table, I didn’t sew the edges. It’s much thinner than the table top, so it was far easier to simply fold and staple underneath to get the effect I needed.
The legs, however…
Most difficult part! I wanted to make sure the legs looked clean, so I decided to sew the fabric here as well. The leg is 8 inches all around, so I measured and cut the fabric accordingly, then sewed together with a sewing machine. There’s a screw on the inside of each leg that the bottom shelf sits on. I had one hell of a time getting the fabric tight enough not to sag once on the leg, but not too tight that it wouldn’t slip over that screw. Only a few cuts on the hands and several broken nails!
To make the legs look more finished, I stapled the fabric to the top and bottom of each leg.